Saturday, April 27, 2013

Goodbye, Cowboy

Day 1 with Cowboy
Farewell Family Photo
It's official: Cowboy is on his way to Jersey City! Tomorrow he will finally get to meet his forever family thanks to See Spot Rescued and Friends of DeKalb Animals. Drew and I watched him board the FODA van this afternoon along with several other awesome foster families who said their goodbyes as well. No tears yet for either of us, but I know they will flow later tonight. I feel the usual fracture in my heart that comes with saying goodbye to a beloved foster, but it's SO worth it to know Cows has a wonderful future waiting for him.

We had Cowboy for three months to the day. Out of all our foster dogs so far, his departure left the most noticeable void. While it's nice to be back down to four dogs, it feels a little quiet. Cowboy wasn't at all rowdy, but we definitely feel his absence. He's such an awesome dog. I'm super excited to see his adoption pictures and hear how he does with his new family. The FODA van will arrive in NJ tomorrow and Cowboy is scheduled to meet his new family three hours afterward. Of course, I will post a happy tails update with photos from SSR.


I don't really have too much to say, oddly enough. It's different this time around...I feel bittersweet, but at peace. Cowsy will be missed around here, no doubt, but it's his time and we are so happy for him. Pickles will miss his incredibly patient playmate and Oliver will miss his laid back buddy. Bunkin and Flea will surely miss Cows once they realize it's now up to them to entertain Pickles 24/7. I'm sure when we turn out the lights tonight it will feel eerily quiet with his giant crate standing empty in our bedroom. We'll miss hearing his "moo" noises as he drifts off to sleep, stretches, rolls over, etc. We'll miss his big long poker face and his dashing good looks, but most of all we'll miss his heart. Ok, now I'm tearing up a little. We love you, Cowboy! You'll always be our #1 Moo Man Pokey Face!

1 comment:

  1. Ok, not even five minutes after publishing and I am officially crying. :-(

    ReplyDelete