Sunday, December 30, 2012

Goodbye, Cindy Lou


Me and Sqwindy
I'm typing this with a broken heart this morning. Drew and I handed little Cindy Lou over to Friends of DeKalb Animals (FODA) yesterday afternoon. She went on transport to a top notch rescue group in Middletown, NY where she'll wait to be adopted. FODA is an amazing group that works only to rescue animals from DeKalb County Animal Services, raise funds for their vetting, treat for heartworms if needed, and then transport to awaiting rescues in PA, CT, NJ, and NY on the FODA van. One of the co-founders of FODA personally drives the transport van full of shelter animals every other weekend up to the Northeast. Rain, sleet, snow, or shine, FODA makes sure these pets get to safety. The Northeast has much stricter spay/neuter laws than we do in the South, so they don't have the overpopulation problems that we do. Thus, these rescue groups are able and thankfully willing to accept our animals in an effort to give them a second chance at life. The same awesome woman who drives the transport van has personally visited, worked with, and approved the handful of rescue groups that receive FODA's animals. I trust her judgment.


Cindy Lou about to board the FODA transport van
So, although it was incredibly painful to let Cindy Lou go, I know that it was the right thing to do. She is in great hands and has an awesome future waiting for her. She kicked her cough completely, gained strength, and put on a pound in the week we had her. I broke down pretty hard last night thinking of how scared she might be riding in the van or waiting for an adoptive family in the shelter, but to keep her would have been a great injustice to the other animals at DeKalb waiting for a foster opening. Yes, I miss her a ton and it hurts really badly, but it will be ok. Our little Sqwindy will get the home she deserves and we will get to help so many other pets in need.

Annie's adoption wasn't very difficult for me, but this was a true test of determination for us. We did it. I'm pretty sure that Cindy Lou will be the toughest foster I'll ever have to let go, so in a sense it should all get easier from here. It will probably take me quite a while to not get a lump in my throat when I think about how much I miss Sqwindy and her adorable little sweater-loving gentle personality, but I'm so glad we're doing this. I love dogs. Every single one is probably going to be tough for me to let go, but this is what I signed up for. Let's do it! I will keep an eye out for updates on Cindy Lou from her new rescue group and hopefully we'll see a happy tail pop up soon. In the meantime, our journey continues along with Cindy's. Good luck, sweet girl! We love you.

If you would like to learn more about FODA or donate to help them transport animals from DeKalb County Animal Services to safety, please visit their site: http://friendsofdekalbanimals.com/

Cindy Lou Who and her foster brothers the day before transport

1 comment: