Sunday, October 20, 2013

Pupdate: Raven's Recovery

Left: Before; Right: 2 weeks later
Ok, I'm finally getting a chance to sit down and type this update. I picked Raven up from the vet last Monday. Dr. Montgomery showed me how to change her bandage, which I've done every day. Drew was out of town all week, so a couple of friends were kind enough to pop over and help hold her still while I put fresh bandaging on her leg. It's super easy and I've really enjoyed gaining experience with wound care. Raven's injuries are healing very nicely. The minor scrapes on her back feet and shoulder are almost gone and the fur is growing back over them. The underarm wound is doing ok; it's not as great as it could be but there's no infection or anything bad. She popped the stitches and licked at it a bit the first few days, so it's just a little more
Raven's fancy 80s bandage
raw and irritated than we'd like to see. The big awful carpal injury is getting way better. The vet 
used the phrase "a world of difference" to describe how it looked when we went for her follow-up on Friday, so that's awesome. You can see in the picture how much the tissue has filled in compared to the pictures I posted of it the day we drove her to the vet. That's just two weeks of progress! It's amazing how quickly dogs heal.



Silly girl!
In my very first post I said part of this blog's purpose is to serve as an outlet for me through our fostering challenges, as I knew they'd crop up eventually. Well, our journey with Raven fits squarely into that category. Now I mentioned briefly that Drew was out of town all week. Just in case I haven't expressed it clearly in the past, I want everyone to know how much he helps me with all the dog stuff (and everything else, for that matter). My rescue friends are always quick to comment about how lucky I am that he is as involved as I am. They're right. I REALLY missed his help this week. As it turns out, fostering a GSD with serious injuries + juggling five other dogs that she's incompatible with (one being Satan's Chihuahua and another being an infant puppy) + law school + BY MYSELF = a freaking train wreck. Surprise! Who might have thought? Sigh.

I love this dog bed!

The first night/day with a new foster is always tough, for sure. My first night with Raven was beyond an utter disaster. She completely destroyed my giant 48" crate. She managed to pop a few wires and just ram straight through the front panel. She locked herself in my bathroom and turned on all the faucets. We're talking sinks, tub, everything. The sad, mopey, timid dog we left at the vet the week before existed no more. Raven was at max energy and I had to make sure she a) didn't hurt any of the other dogs, b) didn't re-injure her wounds, and c) didn't tear the house down. One of my friends generously came and spent the night in my bed with my dogs so that I could sleep upstairs with Raven. I needed to stay with her until I could get a new crate. I got very little sleep that night, and even less the next night. Fortunately, a rescue friend who lives nearby loaned me a giant hard plastic crate that Raven can't escape. And hey, she didn't eat any of the other dogs and didn't wreck anything but my crate. Things definitely could have been way worse.


With each day, things get a little better. My dogs had to sleep without me all week, I had to sleep in the guest room with Raven so she wouldn't bark all night, and I spent every ounce of energy each day trying to balance the six of them while keeping them separate, but we managed. Drew changed his flight to the red eye and got home Friday morning. He'll be gone again for the next two weeks, but at least I've caught up on my sleep while he's been home this weekend. We've finally gotten Raven to sleep quietly in her crate during the night. This means I can sleep in my bed with my dogs again. We're all happy about that.

At this point, the worst part of it all is that Raven isn't able to integrate with our dogs. When she snarled at Oliver and went into stare-down mode, we knew we couldn't take the introductions any further. Oliver is as docile, mellow, and straight up neutral as a dog could possibly be. If Raven didn't want to coexist nicely with him, there is no way she'd be able to deal with our other crazies. It just isn't at all worth the risk of someone getting hurt. I knew it was unlikely that she'd be able to integrate with our guys, but I was a little thrown by the exact dynamics. Raven is not at all dog-reactive. She doesn't care when she hears them in the other room or sees them through the window. We can even take them on walks alongside each other with no problem. The issue arises the second any personalized interaction occurs between me or Drew and one of our other dogs. That really pisses her off. Example: She was totally cool with Oliver sitting in the living room near her, but the moment I patted his head or directed my attention toward him in any way, she stiffened and flashed her teeth. So, again, she's not reactive or aggressive. She's people possessive. We are hers and she has zero interest in sharing us with other dogs. Consequently, everyone stays separated. This makes my life a living hell, but it keeps everyone safe. It's only a few short weeks after all.


Burning some energy and strengthening that leg!
I've carried on long enough about the challenges we face with Raven. Let me tell you all about Raven's great qualities. Raven is SUPER SWEET. She absolutely adores all people, new or familiar, male or female. Like I said earlier, I've had friends come by to help out this week and she's showered them with affection. Raven loves to play fetch, even with her bum leg. She really enjoys spending time out on the deck and in the yard. Like a typical GSD, Raven is very smart and picks up on everything in a flash. She knows "sit", "shake", "go lay on your bed", and is beautifully housebroken. She sleeps in her crate quietly now, but she will also sleep on her dog bed like an angel all night as long as it's next to the people bed. She likes going for walks and doesn't pull on the leash. I think Raven would very much like to be an only dog, but she really is going to make somebody an amazing companion. Not to mention she's absolutely beautiful!

Here's the bottom line(s): Drew wanted to foster a real true GSD and I wanted to broaden my experience with doggy medical stuff beyond heartworm treatment. We got exactly what we asked for. I knew Drew would be traveling so much this month and I knew it would be a challenge, but we signed up for it anyway. We made a commitment to short-term foster for CPR and we are not in the business of breaking promises. We will see Raven through her recovery and then send her to the CPR facility. It's going to be a less than ideal next two weeks, but we will make it work and save a life along the way. This learning curve we're riding is steep, but it's worth it. We now know our limits even that much better. Fostering is a great adventure and I know it has made me a stronger, patient, and more compassionate person. If you'd like to apply to adopt Raven or donate to Canine Pet Rescue in her honor, please visit their site: http://www.caninepetrescue.com/home.html


No comments:

Post a Comment